On the 19th September 2014, Global Health Trials Southern Africa held its Annual Faculty Meeting, themed Clinical Trial Site Project Management. The day was hosted by the University of Cape Town’s Clinical Research Center and organized by Global Health Trials Regional Faculty. Local study staff were introduced to the online interactive process map through thought-provoking speakers who highlighted its use in supporting the various aspects of clinical trial site management. Overall the day revealed that local study staff seek face-to-face interactive, knowledge transferring, networking sessions.
Presentations included the following:
- Introduction to Global Health Trials (Elizabeth Allen Lead Faculty Member, Global Health Trials/Support Team Manager, UCT Clinical Research Centre)
- Adhering to the GCP principles: what does that even mean? (Marijke Geldenhuys, CEO of CREDE Pty Ltd (Clinical Research Education and Development) and Clinical Research, GCP Consultant)
- The MCC submission process: tips and tools (Ashley Veldsman, Regulatory Specialist, The South African TB Vaccine Initiative (SATVI) &
- Marilyn Solomons, Research Administration Manager, UCT Division of Clinical Pharmacology
- Clinical trial registration and the Pan African Clinical Trials Registry (PACTR) (Tamara Kredo, Deputy Director, South African Cochrane Centre)
- Sourcing, preparing and accounting for investigational products (Wynand Smythe & Nicky Kramer, Research Pharmacists, UCT Clinical Research Centre)
- Managing the laboratory relationship (Jennifer Norman, Quality Assurance Manager, UCT Division of Clinical Pharmacology Analytical Laboratory)
- Data management: How to get the needle out the haystack (Annemie Stewart, Data Manager, UCT Division of Clinical Pharmacology)
- Case scenarios:
- “Early phase project management – is it really that scary?”(Brenda Wright, Senior Project Manager / Ward Manager, UCT Clinical Research Centre )
- “The challenges of diagnostic and vaccine trials” (Henne Geldenhuys, Clinical Research Officer, SATVI)
- Productivity principles and processes (Duncan Hattingh, Lead Facilitator, Productivity Pitstop)
Presentations can be downloaded from the right hand side of the screen.